Root Canal Therapy in Northlake, IL
Root canal treatment is a common restorative dental procedure that involves removing injured or inflamed dental pulp from the inside of a tooth. The dental pulp is the soft, innermost part of the tooth that contains blood vessels and nerves. The dental pulp may become infected due to a chip or crack in the tooth, deep decay, or trauma.
After root canal treatment, the tooth saved and, the dental function is retained.
Signs You May Require Root Canal Treatment
Some tell-tale signs that point to a need for root canal treatment include:
- Severe toothache, especially when you apply chewing pressure
- significant sensitivity to hot and cold food & drink
- Tooth discoloration
- Swollen and tender gums
- Persistent pimples on the gums
Dr Mansi Mehta may recommend root canal treatment even in the absence of these symptoms.
Simple Root Canal Step-by-Step Procedure
Root canal therapy near you calls for one or more dental visits, depending on certain patient-specific factors. The steps involved in root canal therapy are as follows:
- Our dentist near me obtains dental x-rays to determine your root canal’s curvature. The dentist must understand how extensively your canals are curved so they can get rid of all diseased pulp. Missing any spots during the initial root canals may necessitate endodontic retreatment. The x-rays also help the dentist assess whether the infection has spread to the surrounding bone.
- Our dentist in Northlake, IL, numbs your tooth with local anesthesia. Additionally, Dr Mansi Mehta may administer a sedative to help you relax.
- The dentist obtains access to the diseased part of the tooth. The debris, bacteria, and diseased pulp are removed from the tooth.
- The dentist cleans and disinfects the tooth. Additionally, the dentist may place topical medication inside the tooth to clear the infection.
- Finally, the dentist carefully seals the tooth with a rubber-like material to prevent bacteria from reaccessing the root canals. If the tooth has significant damage from the infection or trauma, the dentist repairs the tooth using dental crowns.
Restore Your Dental Health
Are you dealing with tooth pain causing you to lose sleep? Call Smiles of Northlake to schedule your root canal treatment.